Thursday 13 March 2014

Assignment 1 - defining and using social media

Social networking in my own words
Social networking is about websites that allow users to interact socially and collaboratively. These websites encourage users to not just interact with one other person, but many people, often at once in a conversational way. Social media also is about the sharing of data and images with others. As mentioned in the first module, humans have always had a social space for sharing ideas and discussing the world around them. Modern social media is just this on a very large scale. The big difference is that many people from many different geographic locales can meet and talk about things via social media, and they can do this 24 hours a day. We don't know the effect of social media on the population, but it's interesting to think about from a sociological perspective.  

Using social networking
Study

  • Facebook
  • Message boards
  • Instant messaging
  • Twitter

Work

  • Twitter - library account that I update with my staff
  • Facebook - library account that I update with my staff
  • Pinterest - library account that we developing
  • Flickr - also developing this, as many other libraries have their accounts set up
  • Yammer - for staff
  • WikiSpaces - we have a library staff wiki
  • HistoryPin - we have our own site that I helped develop
  • Soundcloud - I decided to use this to get our Oral Histories online
  • Goodreads - We have our own online bookclub on Goodreads


Personal

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Pinterest
  • Tumblr
  • Goodreads



What I want to learn from INF506

I hope to learn a lot more about how social media can be used in a work setting and also about the theories behind social media. I'm the digital services librarian at my library, so I'm hoping that what I learn can help me with my job. I also hope to learn more about web 2.0 and designing websites and developing information policies surrounding social media. 







No comments:

Post a Comment